Thursday, February 23, 2012

I'm not ready for Kindergarten yet

I remember the excitement of Kindergarten registration with Ashton. I took the day off of work, toured the school, met her teacher, and went out to lunch.

Ahh, to be a young mom with a kindergarten newbie again.

Yesterday was Gracie's IEP meeting for next year, yes, kindergarten. It's a completely different feeling this time around. My last babe is going to school. Also, we don't get to pick her school. We were told what school she would be going to, as it is the only school in our district that offers a severe needs program. I have talked with several other schools and they don't offer services that will fit her needs.
If I was one of "those" moms, I would file a complaint with the ADA, find a good attorney and district advocate. I would force any school to take her and meet all of her needs. But honestly, I want to give this school a try. Her goals we put together are awesome! Clearly setting up a plan that will set all of her needs in place. Hopefully, leaving
no guessing for her new teacher, para, and team.

I'm scared, I will admit that. But kind of excited about what God has in store for Grace next.
I learned yesterday that her PT and OT will be seeing her next year too, one less transition!

With private speech, OT, and hopefully hippotherapy this summer, I can only imagine Grace walking into school on her first day in August and teaching her class! She will be set.
A lot of mixed feelings this week for me. Maybe I am ready for Kindergarten to start???

No comments:

Post a Comment